Sep 1, 2008

American Pie – Some Linkerage for You

"Do you believe in rock 'n roll,
Can music save your mortal soul,
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?"

Thank you Don McClean.

Why was it so much fun to drive back in 1971? Not only was gasoline about .35 a gallon, but driving and listening to the radio was just plain FUN. In the fall of 1971, I would drive to school (McNeese State University) and listen to the radio. Every morning, usually about the time I was driving down Hwy. 171, two of my favorite songs would come on. One was American Pie (the other Maggie May by Rod Stewart—'nuther story).

Even though sometimes I forget things that happened yesterday, I still remember all the lyrics to American Pie. I eventually bought the album, which is currently sitting in a bin in my garage. (Back in the olden days, before the internet, us teenage girls would lie back across the bed and fondle the album while listening to our favorite music. I sorta miss that.) I still listen to American Pie on my iPod, and enjoy it just as much as I did back then.

I will not attempt to analyze American Pie as that has been done. I merely like the song. I like what Don himself said when asked what the song means: "It means I never have to work again if I don't want to."

You can still buy the remastered CD. Or his book.

And, the cycle continues.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the two times my greatest wish in life was to possess a particular album and without funds or parental interest, the prospect seemed bleek. Both times the particular album appeared in my hands for my birthday from folks I never would have thought would provide me with same....
American Pie appeared following my appendectomy and just in time for my birthday from (of all people) my best friend's BROTHER and his GIRLFRIEND. I know every word of every song.
Don McClean came to Lubbock once in the 90's. We paid over $50 for the entire family to experience his magic. Two hours of "new" music were endured before he actually gave in and sang two songs from American Pie, Vincent and American Pie. He went so far as to say he was offended at the folks that only came to hear the old stuff. What a dirt-bag! The man is legendary for those songs. What a no-brainer to be able to go around singing the old stuff and be praised and adored instead of banging your head against the wall for us goobers who only live for the old stuff. What I'd give to have ONE song like VIncent, much less American Pie! A flash of genius not appreciated by the author...what a waste...for him! How sad. Yet, I still believe in Rock and Roll and music HAS saved my mortal soul! Love ya, J